Now here’s a unique twist for a burger– why not take a classic Korean side-dish and make it the perfect patty topping? Asian fusion never tasted so good! In this east meets west merging, there’s a little bit of spice and a whole lot of flavour!
CHILE-BEEF BURGERS with Quick Kimchi
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
STANDING TIME: 2 hours
GRILLING TIME: 9-11 minutes
1 small head napa or savoy cabbage, about 12 ounces, quartered and cored
6 scallions, ends trimmed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce
1½ teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
1½ pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
1 small shallot, minced
1 Thai or serrano chile pepper, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and minced (about 2 teaspoons)
2 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
Freshly ground black pepper
4 onion buns, split
1. Cut the cabbage crosswise into thin strips, and then separate the strips by hand. In a colander toss the cabbage with the scallions and salt. Let stand until the cabbage wilts, about 2 hours, tossing occasionally. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cabbage. In a large bowl mix the remaining kimchi ingredients. Add the cabbage and scallions and toss to combine.
2. Mix the patty ingredients, including ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and then gently form four patties of equal size, each about 1 inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400° to 500°F).
4. Lightly season the patties on both sides with salt and pepper, and then grill over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to medium doneness (160°F), 9 to 11 minutes, turning once. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.
5. Build each burger on a bun with a patty and a spoonful or two of kimchi. Serve warm.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.