Burger of the Week: Smoked Meat Loaf Burgers with Grilled Onion
PREP time: 15 minutes
grilling time: 8-10 minutes
special equipment: 2 large handfuls mesquite wood chips
8 ounces ground chuck (80% lean)
8 ounces ground veal
8 ounces lean ground pork
2 large eggs, beaten
¾ cup dried Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup ketchup
1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can)
1 red onion, cut crosswise into 4 slices, each about ½ inch thick
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices sourdough bread, each about ½ inch thick
1. Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Mix the patty ingredients, and then gently form four patties of equal size, each about ¾ inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
3. Whisk the ketchup, chipotle chile pepper, and adobo sauce.
4. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400° to 500°F).
5. Brush the onion slices with the oil. Drain and add the wood chips to the charcoal or to the smoker box of a gas grill, following manufacturer’s instructions, and close the lid. When the wood begins to smoke, grill the patties and onion over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until the patties are cooked to medium doneness (160°F), 8 to 10 minutes, and the onion is tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. During the last minute of grilling time, toast the bread over direct heat, turning once.
6. Build each burger on a bread slice with a patty, chipotle ketchup, a grilled onion slice, and the remaining bread slice. Serve warm.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.
‘Smell that? You smell that?’ ‘What?’ ‘Bacon, son. Nothing else in the world smells like t...
*Please take note that upon submitting your comment the team at OLM will need to verify it before it shows up below.