Strawberry and Goat Cheese Grilled Sandwich with a Balsamic Glaze
Recipe courtesy of Udi’s Gluten Free.
Makes 1 serving
Enjoy a summertime twist on a gluten free grilled cheese sandwich by adding fresh local strawberries, local goat cheese and zesty balsamic vinegar.
Food Styling Suggestions
- Grilled Cheese cut on a diagonal with the contrast of greens against the strawberries
- Served on a white plate with the balsamic glaze spread on top of bread with a nice swirl finish on the white plate
- Strawberry slices on top of grilled cheese with the green leaves on strawberry still showing for a colour pop
2 slices of Udi’s Whole Grain Bread or Millet and Chia Bread
1 ounce (30 g) of crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup (60 mL) of fresh, sliced strawberries
¼ cup (60 mL) of mixed baby spinach and arugula
2 teaspoons (10 mL) of coconut oil or butter
1/2 cup (125 mL) of balsamic vinegar
- To make the balsamic glaze:
- Pour ½ cup (125 mL) of balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. When the vinegar comes to a boil, reduce heat to achieve a simmer. Stir vinegar occasionally until it has reduced by at least half or more. Allow to cool.
- Heat a non- stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Spread coconut oil/ butter on the outside section of bread.
- Add goat cheese and layer strawberries, baby spinach and arugula on the unbuttered side of the bread.
- Add another slice of buttered bread on top.
- Grill on a non-stick pan until just golden brown and then flip over to achieve the same golden colour on the other side.
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over top of sandwich and serve with a garnish of fresh strawberries.
Key Marketing and Nutritional Points
- Gluten Free
- Source of Iron
- Low Glycemic
- High in Fibre
- Source of Folate
- No Added Refined Sugars