Burger of the Week: Chicken-Apple Burgers with Celery Salad
As the weather continues to warm up, try this refreshing take on a traditional chicken burger!
PREP time: 20 minutes
grilling time: 11-13 minutes
1½ pounds ground chicken, preferably thigh meat
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely diced
1 large shallot, minced
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 ribs celery, preferably from the heart, trimmed and cut into thin slices
? cup roughly chopped walnuts
1½ tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
½ teaspoon prepared horseradish
Extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices walnut bread, each about ½ inch thick or 4 whole-wheat buns, split
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1. Mix the patty ingredients, including 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper, and then gently form four patties of equal size, each about 1 inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
2. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3. Whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice, and then fold in the remaining salad ingredients. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Brush the patties on both sides with oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill the patties over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until fully cooked (165°F), 11 to 13 minutes, turning once. During the last minute of grilling time, toast the bread over direct heat, turning once.
5. Build each burger on a bread slice with mustard, a patty, a spoonful of celery salad, and the remaining bread slice. Serve immediately.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.
*Please take note that upon submitting your comment the team at OLM will need to verify it before it shows up below.