10 Reasons You Can’t Miss Glowfair
If you haven’t heard of Ottawa’s latest light, art and music festival, you are clearly living in the dark! Glowfair 2015, running from June 19-20, is Bank Street’s biggest block party and street festival held between Slater and James Street. There is so much going on during this two-day festival, but here are our top 10 curated highlights.
1. Kiesza. You may not be able to spell her name or pronounce it, but you definitely know her breakout single ‘Hideaway,’ released last summer. Since then, the Saskatchewan native, with the curious hair style and penchant for super high-waist acid washed jeans, has released another nascent hit, Sound of a Woman. Kiesza plays Glowfair on Saturday, June 20.
2. Silent Disco. It’s hard to describe a silent disco, but imagine sharing a dance floor with 2,000 of your closest friends in absolute silence. That is, until you blast your personal Bluetooth headset and tune into a live DJ performance of your choice. Don’t move the party on the neighbour’s account; let the party come to you. There is no need to shut this disco down until 2 a.m.
3. theNEWDEAL. This livetronica band is the bomb. Straight from Toronto and very big in the electro pop world, theNEWDEAL will be hitting the live stage on Friday night alongside other talented musical artists.
4. Glow yoga at Summer Solstice. Have you ever done yoga under a black light? Now is your chance! Join Nigel Walker, of Yoga on Parliament Hill, and get your Namaste on. Receive a neon mat, paint yourself with glow body paint and practice in the essence of fluorescence.
5. Moroccan bazaar. The Moroccan Bazaar will feature traditional and cross-over music, dance, henna tattoo artists, Moroccan specialty foods and an artisan market under iconic Moroccan tents.
7. Pinball Wizard Skate Park. Built by Ottawa’s very own Antique Skate Shop, this skate park is made to look like an old fashioned pin ball machine, but life-size! All this, in memory of Charlie Bowins.
8. Support local, support the community! Get to know the area and discover some new Bank Street businesses you may have been missing out on.
9. But what about the children? Kids Zone is for the smallest of Glowfair festivalgoers. There are loads of fun activities for the family, from puppet making, to an interactive reptile zoo, face painting, and a Safari Dance Adventure.
10. Block parties! Ten city blocks will be closed down, each with its own theme. Visit the Glowfair website for more details.