An appetizer for any occasion
These easy-to-make and delicious zucchini boats are a perfect side, appetizer or snack for any event. Blend mushrooms with meat to cut down on cost, lighten the meal and add an extra serving of veggies.
If you aren't a big spice fan, then reduce the heat by removing the chipotle pepper. Bonus: the filling can be made a day ahead of time, which is great if you're having company over.
Recipe Courtesy of: Sweet Peas and Saffron
Zesty zucchini Boats
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
• 200 g (7 oz) white button mushrooms, cleaned and ends trimmed
• 6 medium-sized zucchinis
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2-pound ground turkey
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup corn kernels
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1 chipotle pepper, finely diced
• 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
• 1.5 cups shredded cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Add mushrooms to a large food processor and pulse until they are small uniform pieces.
3. Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop the insides out, leaving about half a centimeter around the skin. Chop zucchini insides into small pieces and set aside.
4. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and ground turkey and cook for about 5 minutes, until no pink remains in the turkey.
5. Add mushrooms, chopped zucchini flesh, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
6. Add corn kernels, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper. Stir to combine. Remove pan from heat.
7. In a 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange scooped-out zucchinis.
8. Spoon the turkey and mushroom mixture in. Top with cheese.
9. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, and zucchinis are cooked through.
Find more recipes featuring fresh local ingredients online at mushrooms.ca.