Master the Art of Grilling Salmon
Nothing is better than being outside and grilling on a beautiful summer day. Choose salmon for a light, summertime dinner!
First, you need to decide if you want to buy farm raised or wild salmon. The first noticeable difference is the appearance. Wild salmon offers a better taste, texture, and health. Go for wild whenever you can!
To prepare the salmon, first cut off any part of the fish that is thinner than the rest. You can opt to grill it separately or throw it away. Next, you should make sure there are no bones in the filet by running your finger across the surface. If there are any bones sticking out, use tweezers or pliers to remove them. Grab the end of the bone and carefully pull it out at an angle towards the head of the fish, so the flesh won’t tear.
Here’s the trick to grilling salmon: something called The 70/30 Rule. When grilling salmon, place the filet flesh side down for 70 percent of the total time it will take to cook. When the flesh comes off of the grill easily, flip over the filets so they can cook for the remaining 30 percent of cooking time. Slide the filets off the grill with a spatula. Voilà! You have mastered the art of grilling salmon. Try it out with the delicious recipe below!
Cedar-Planked Salmon with Coriander-Citrus Glaze
Prep-Time: 1 1/4 hours
Grilling Time: 25 – 35 minutes
3 medium oranges
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold
2 tablespoons ground coriander, divided
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 salmon fillet (with skin), 2 1/2 to 3 pounds and about 3/4 inch thick, pin bones removed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 heads frisée, about 8 ounces total, root ends trimmed and leaves separated
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
8 large medjool dates, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5 honey tangerines, peeled, split in half, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch half-moons
1. Soak the cedar plank in water for at least 1 hour.
2. Finely grate enough zest from the oranges and the limes to make 1-1?2 teaspoons of each; set aside. Squeeze 1 cup juice from the oranges and 1?3 cup juice from the limes. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, and honey and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the liquid is reduced to 3?4 cup, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, the orange zest, lime zest, and 1-1?2 teaspoons of the coriander. Let the glaze cool slightly. Stir in the cilantro.
3. Place the salmon fillet on a large baking sheet. Cut the fillet into six individual portions, cutting right down to the skin but not through it.
4. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the remaining coriander, the salt, cumin, and pepper. Pour 1?2 cup of the citrus glaze slowly and evenly over the top of the salmon, reserving the remaining glaze for serving. Spread the glaze evenly over the salmon, brushing some glaze between the individual portions. Season the salmon evenly with the spice mixture. Allow the salmon to marinate at a cool room temperature for 45 minutes, basting occasionally with any glaze that runs onto the baking sheet.
5. Meanwhile, make the salad: In a small bowl whisk the oil, orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and the remaining 1-1?2 teaspoons coriander until well blended and emulsified. Stir in the cilantro and reserve at room temperature. In a large bowl combine the frise?e, onion, dates, and tangerines. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
6. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
7. Brush the cooking grates clean. Remove the soaked plank from the water and place it on the cooking grate over direct medium heat. Close the lid. After 5 to 10 minutes, when the plank begins to smoke and char, turn the plank over and place it over indirect medium heat. Put the salmon on the plank, skin side down, and cook, with the lid closed, until the salmon is just opaque in the center and begins to brown slightly around the edges, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer the plank with the salmon to a heatproof surface. Slide a spatula between the skin and flesh and transfer to serving plates. Spoon some of the remaining citrus glaze over each serving. Gently toss the salad with the dressing and serve it alongside the salmon.
For more information and delicious recipes, visit www.weber.com.