New twist on a classic taste
This take on a juicy burger uses melted mozzarella, fresh mushrooms and caramelized onions for a delicious result. Using the blend-and-extend technique of combining mushrooms with ground beef provides an extra serving of vegetables, boosts flavour and adds a serving of vitamin D.
Recipe Courtesy of: James to Jamie
Mushroom Beef Burger
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
• 200g cremini mushrooms
• 400g extra lean ground beef
• 1/2 tsp salt, dash of pepper
• Medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 4 brioche buns
• 4-8 slices fresh mozzarella
• Barbecue sauce
1. Blend/pulse mushrooms until fine in a food processor.
2. Cook mushrooms on a griddle or large frying pan over medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Set aside to cool.
3. Give the griddle a quick wipe-down, turn it down to low medium, and toss in your sliced onions along with butter. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until soft and golden.
3. While onions are cooking and once mushrooms have cooled, combine mushrooms together with ground beef in a prep bowl. Stir until well-combined and form into four patties. Place on a plate, cover and put in the fridge.
4. Once onions are the right texture and colour, add balsamic vinegar and cook another 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from griddle and set aside.
5. Wipe down griddle, turn it back up to medium, then add a small lug of oil and spread it around.
6. Combine salt and pepper in a small prep bowl, then sprinkle roughly half of the seasoning on burgers. Place them on the griddle with the seasoned side facing down.
7. After about 4 minutes, season the tops with the other half of the salt and pepper mix, then flip. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes until no pink remains.
8. Build burgers by applying mayo to both sides of buns, then add patties and top with one to two slices of fresh mozzarella and caramelized onions.
Find more recipes with fresh local ingredients online at mushrooms.ca.