Preserving History: Reinstating the Ogilvy Building Heritage Façade
Rendering of the Rideau Centre Expansion
The corner of Rideau and Nicholas Streets is getting a facelift.
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. have started reinstating historical elements of the former Ogilvy Department Store as part of the Rideau Centre Redevelopment Project.
“By preserving the heritage features of the Ogilvy Building façade and incorporating them into the redevelopment of Rideau Centre, we are not only paying tribute to the past but also creating a dynamic streetscape for this part of Rideau Street,” says Ivan Boulva, vice-president development, eastern portfolio, Cadillac Fairview.
Built over a century ago in 1907, this three-storey landmark was designed by Ottawa architects Northwood and Noffke for local merchant Charles Ogilvy. The store closed in 1986 but was not forgotten.
The Ontario Heritage Act aimed to preserve the legacy and memory of original structures like the Ogilvy store. And so, Cadillac Fairview and Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. developed a plan to dismantle and later restore the historic beauty of the Ogilvy building.
Beginning in January 2013, historical aspects of the structure were recovered, relocated and restored.
Cadillac Fairview is now putting the pieces back together to preserve history. The expansion will include features of the original façade and commemorate the heritage of the 20th century Ogilvy building.
The Rideau Centre expansion is planned to continue until August 2016. Other changes include additional retailers, such as Simons, a new parking garage and a stop along the LRT Confederation Line.