Say goodbye to butter and bake with heart-healthy olive oil
Swapping olive oil for some or all fats, like butter, lard, shortening and margarine, in your baking, is a simple way to cut down on bad cholesterol and calories. As a bonus, the switch will also add antioxidants and vitamin E, which will help keep your muffins and breads fresher longer while adding a bit of extra moisture. The golden rule when substituting extra virgin olive oil for butter is to use 3 tablespoons of oil for every 1/4 cup of butter.
Olive oil apple cakes
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
• 2 cups flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 11/3 cups Oleiva Traditional Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 cup whole milk
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup pressed apple cider
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1 tablespoon orange zest
• 4 red apples, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, add all wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
3. Add dry ingredients a quarter at a time; add orange zest and mix until smooth.
4. Pour batter into four mini lightly oiled baking pans or mini cast iron skillets. One large cake pan can also be used, though baking time may vary.
5. Arrange apple slices on top of each pan. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
*Please take note that upon submitting your comment the team at OLM will need to verify it before it shows up below.