Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Looking for a fun summer appetizer? Try Nanny Hudson‘s sweet and sour meatball recipe!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
1/4 cup (60 mL) gluten-free breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (60 mL) grated onion
1 egg, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
|Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 jar (375 mL) Nanny Hudson’s Homestyle Ketchup
1/3 cup (75 mL) honey
1/3 cup (75 mL) rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix ground beef with gluten-free breadcrumbs, onion, egg, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. Roll into 24 meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs:
- Meanwhile, stir ketchup with honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until simmering (lightly bubbling). Stir in meatballs. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes or sauce is thick and coats meatballs well.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- For an appetizer, serve with cocktail toothpicks or for a main serve with rice and steamed broccoli.
- Substitute regular dried breadcrumbs for the gluten-free breadcrumbs, if desired.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/8th recipe)
Calories: 218| Fat: 12.5g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 560mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Sugar: 12.5g | Dietary Fibre: 0.5g| Protein: 11.5g | Potassium*: 167mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
For more great recipes, visit nannyhudson.com.