Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich
Nanny Hudson‘s pulled pork recipe is tender and tasty with a bit of a kick! Try it with a coleslaw salad and don’t forget the napkins!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Cook Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
3 1/2 lb (1.6 kg) pork shoulder or butt roast (bone-in), trimmed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jar (375 g) Nanny Hudson’s Homestyle Ketchup
1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
6 Kaiser or Ciabatta buns, whole wheat or white
6 fried eggs
1 pkg (340 g) coleslaw salad mix
1 Granny smith apple, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5 mL) honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Place pork, onions and garlic in a slow cooker. Stir ketchup with brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until combined. Pour the sauce over top. Set the slow cooker to HIGH and cook until very tender for 5 hours or on LOW for 10 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board. Let stand for 10 minutes. Shred the pork using two forks. Meanwhile, skim fat from sauce. Transfer to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes or until reduce by about half.
- Transfer meat and reduced sauce back to the slow cooker set on low to serve and keep warm.
- Sandwich pulled pork, sauce, pickled jalapenos, fried egg in buns. Serve with coleslaw and extra sauce.
- Add coleslaw mix, apples and green onions to a large bowl. Whisk mayonnaise with vinegar, Dijon, honey, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. Toss dressing with coleslaw mixture until coated.
- For even spicier pulled pork, add a fresh serrano or finger chili pepper to the slow cooker.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/2 sandwich)
Calories: 480| Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 796mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Sugar: 9g | Dietary Fibre: 2g| Protein: 33g | Potassium*: 39mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
For more great recipes, visit nannyhudson.com.