The Mike MacDonald Tribute & Comedy Show Fundraiser at The Mayfair
A night of comedy in support of a great cause? Count us in! On Tuesday October 23rd, The Mike MacDonald Tribute & Comedy Show Fundraiser will take place at the Mayfair Theatre.
Canadian actor and comedian, Michael Allan MacDonald, was a legendary fixture in Canadian comedy best known for his performances on stage as well as for appearing in Three Fugitives, Just For Laughs, Mr. Nice Guy and more!
Having suffered from various ailments in recent years, Mike recently passed away just 7 months ago.
In 2012, news broke that Mike needed help getting a liver transplant after being diagnosed with hepatitis C just a year prior. In March of 2013, Mike and his wife Bonnie were fortunate to have received so much support from various initiatives including a fan-led GoFundMe page and many comic-led fundraisers on their behalf. These efforts covered the costs of their post-transplant three-month stay in Toronto, for which Mike and Bonnie were extremely grateful.
This show is an effort to pay that kindness forward by donating all proceeds after expenses to the Transplant Patient and Family Support Fund, a local charity that supports transplant recipients who must travel to Toronto for their operation and recovery.
The show will feature some of Mike’s closest comedian friends in support of a cause he cared for deeply including:
- The headliner of this show is Ritch Shydner, a Los Angeles based stand-up comedian and close friend of Mike. He has performed all across North America and is a comic writer who has written for Ron White, Jeff Foxworthy, and Jay Leno. He authored Kicking Through The Ashes: My Life as a Stand-Up in the 1980’s Comedy Boom as well as produced and performed in the award winning documentary I Am Comic.
- M.C. Simon Rakoff has performed stand-up since 1978, and is widely regarded as one of Canada’s top comedy acts. A veteran who performs with the enthusiasm of a newcomer, Simon has appeared at Just For Laughs, The Winnipeg Comedy Festival, The Halifax Comedy Festival, and many others, and was featured in the award-winning documentary When Jews Were Funny.
- Multilingual Martha Chavez can truly say she is an international talent. She performs all across Canada, including at Just For Laughs and all other major Canadian comedy festivals, in countries such as Mexico, Central America, Unites States, Egypt, Afghanistan, and Israel, and on her own special for CTV and The Comedy Network called There’s Something About Martha. Martha also wrote and performed a one-woman show called In Times of Trouble.
- Before comedy, Mark Hatfield, winner of Yuk Yuks Winter Comedy Competition, earned a spot with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins and later the Houston Oilers, before playing for the CFL’s B.C. Lions. He created and starred in The Retired CFL Guy, and has frequently been a guest on TSN’s Off the Record with Michael Landsberg. Mark also founded Hatfield’s Athletic Development Centre, is a professional firefighter in Ottawa, and attacks stand-up comedy with the same enthusiasm as every other endeavour in his life.
- Nick Burden has been touring across Canada since 2014; his small town demeanour and charm make him a favourite everywhere he performs. He has been featured on the Hubcap Comedy Festival and is the winner of the first annual Mike MacDonald Summer Comedy Competition held a Yuk Yuk’s.
Don’t miss out on this night of comedy to honour and celebrate the beloved Mike MacDonald.
Tickets are available at the following locations:
Compact Music – 206 Bank Street
Compact Music – 785.5 Bank Street
The Mayfair theatre – 1074 Bank Street
The Brookfield Restaurant – 704 Brookfield Road