5 Profitable Horse Racing Betting Strategies that Veterans Use
So, you want to bet on horse racing but don’t want to go ahead and bet whichever sounds plausible. Good for you because just as how easy it is to get into horse racing betting, it’s also as hard to win bets, especially if you don’t have a plan in mind.
Horse racing might sound very simple — you must pick a good bet and leave the rest to fate. However, winning it cannot be very easy. Sure, it might involve a lot of luck, but that’s not all there is.
You can maximise your profits and minimise your losses by following betting systems. Not only that, but there are also strategies you can subscribe to that can help you choose the right horse. In short, horse racing betting doesn’t just involve luck. It also involves a lot of studying, researching, and of course, patience.
Read on if you want to know some strategies that will help you win more bets.
You can’t discuss horse racing betting strategies without mentioning the dutching system. This type of betting involves you betting on multiple runners in a single race instead of just the regular one.
The main goal of this system is to profit from one of the runners you bet on. Your profits will be equally split from your picks, which can significantly minimise your losses. That is, of course, if you pick suitable horses.
Of course, for this to work, you must calculate your bets to minimise your losses, which involves maths. Don’t worry, however, since you don’t have to be a maths whiz to use this system. We can discuss its details here, but it deserves its article.
Like every betting guide from TVG, this one requires you to do some background research on a horse, which is readily available on the racing forms. In this strategy, you will have to bet on a specific horse that has lost its most recent race but had very impressive runs and a winning streak before that loss. When a horse had an impressive streak, the trainer would try its luck in another race.
If that horse lost, the trainer would return to the previous race, giving it a massive chance of winning and even making another winning streak. It’s like a comeback of some sort. So if you notice that a horse lost its last race but had an impressive winning streak before that, it’s worth betting on.
Now this one is relatively easy. This strategy requires you to bet on the favourite or the shortest odds horse not to win the race. It might be counterproductive since they’re called the favourite for a reason, but did you know that favourites only win 1/3 of their races? That is impressive, but it also tells us that it still loses most of its races.
However, that doesn’t mean you should blindly lay against your favourite. You have to find some factors for its loss. For example, if you see that the favourite has a bad track record on that particular surface or has never won that specific race before, you have reasons to lay on it. This is especially true if you think that the bookies put on a false favourite, which is a huge reason to bet against that runner.
Another strategy that veterans use is the 80/20 strategy. This involves you betting on a particular horse to win and it winning in a specific place. This means you will bet 20% of your wagering money if you think the horse will win the race and the remaining 80% to a specific place like the 2nd runner or 3rd.
But why is this strategy popular? You see, a lot could happen in a race. One moment, a runner is barreling down the finish line until, in the next, it slows down, and many horses are already passing beside it. It’s all too common. So if you think that could happen to your pick, then the 80/20 strategy could counteract that.
Now this one is quite easy to get into. The gist of this strategy is to pick a horse to win on a specific bookie and bet against it on another. The margin between those odds might be manageable, but it can guarantee you at least a small payout. If your bankroll suffers from huge losses, you can do scalping to get back your losses little by little.
There are a lot more strategies that you can find on the internet. However, not all of them work. The strategies here might be all too common, but they are proven repeatedly, which is why many veterans still use them. Nevertheless, they can guarantee a profit, so they’re at least worth a try.