Are Casino Games Pure Luck?

People have often wondered whether winning at casino games is down to pure luck. In short, the answer is yes, even when the outcomes/results of the video slots and other similar games that are played out over a screen/computing device are determined by RNGs (Random Number Generators).

Although some people will think this is unfair, the outcomes are, in fact, about as fair and realistic as can be. Find out more about whether casino games are pure luck or not right here.

What are Random Number Generators at casinos?

A Random Number Generator (RNG) at a casino is basically the 'stuff' (a software program) that works behind the scenes to produce the outcomes of the games. In other words, the reels of a video slot that seem to be spinning at random is only an illusion. With that said, the mathematical algorithms that go into producing these results are as fair and realistic as can be. RNGs produce outcomes with no discernible patterns.

This means that, just like in real life, some people will get lucky and win when playing video slots at casinos, and other people will lose. The only games that do NOT use RNGs to produce random results at casinos are real-life games, such as Roulette, Blackjack, Craps, and Baccarat (and the live dealer versions of these same games).

The RNGs that are currently used by the leading online casino software providers that develop these games are frequently tested for fairness and security by one or more trusted third-party online casino testing agencies. Whether it's an Ontario Casino online or a traditional land based casino, rest assured that the RNG producing the outcomes will be monitored to ensure that their games are constantly producing realistic and fair results, which should put players' minds at ease. 

Which companies test the games for fairness?

There are multiple accredited online casino testing agencies out there today, and the agency that is monitoring an online casino or land-based casino you are playing at must be accredited and will also be monitored by another trusted authority. In 2022, some of the most trusted third-party online casino testing agencies are:

  • Technical Systems Testing (TST)
  • eCommerce Online Gambling Regulation and Assurance (eCOGRA)
  • iTech Labs

Other notable testing agencies that also work to keep players safe at all times and maintain that the games are fair include Gaming Laboratories International (GLI), Gaming Associates (GA), BMM Testlabs, NMi, and SQS, to name just a few.

What is the RTP% payout rate?

Most online casino games, for example, tend to have an average Return To Player percentage payout rate (RTP% rate), which hovers anywhere from 93.00% to 98.00% or higher. In other words, let's just say that an online slot machine has an average 96.78% RTP rate over a four-week period that it monitored. If players spent, on average, $/€/£1,000,000 on that slot over this particular period, they would have received $/€/£967,8000 in winnings, and the casino would have kept the remaining $/€/£32,200 (or 3.22%) as revenue.

Can the games be rigged?

Games can be rigged, but this is extremely unlikely to ever happen at an online casino that's licensed by a top-tier online gambling licensing authority or at a fully licensed land-based casino. If a casino operator was found to be rigging its games in favor of the house, it would have its license immediately revoked, and it would no longer be able to operate legally. It just wouldn't be worth a casino operator rigging its games. In short, the games at today's most trusted online casinos that are controlled by reputable operators with proven track records can be trusted 100%, and the winning is still down to good old lady luck.

Photo: Pixabay