Easy and healthy Mediterranean yellow rice
Are you a Mediterranean food lover? Who isn’t? With its flavorful ingredients, intense flavors and colorful dishes, Mediterranean cuisine can be described as one of the tastiest around the globe.
With its origin in ancient Egypt between the third and fourth centuries A.D., Fortunately, Mediterranean cuisine has spread throughout the world over the years..
However, the concept of Mediterranean cuisine as we know it nowadays dates back to 1950. So, it is quite new.
Which are its typical ingredients?
Mediterranean cuisine typically includes olives, tomatoes, rice, prosciutto, olive oil and seafood.
No matter how you combine any of these staples, you always get a delicious dish! This makes it very versatile and practical.
What about its common dishes?
You may know how to cook shrimp fried rice or the typical paella, but today, you are going to learn how to cook authentic Mediterranean yellow rice.
This bright rice recipe is loaded with aromatic spices and all the deliciousness of Mediterranean culture. It is so tasty that it is going to make your mouth melt!
Let’s get to the making
This dish makes the perfect plant-based lunch if you serve it with a bean salad and it can work amazingly well as a weeknight dinner, too. Let’s find out why this is popular on the Mediterranean coast.
What you are going to need
- 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- 1 medium onion.
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric.
- ½ teaspoon of cumin.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 1 cup of Jasmine rice.
- 2 cups of vegetable broth.
Step by step
- First of all, place a pot over medium-high heat and add the ghee and the olive oil. Once they are heated through, add the onions and cook them until they become golden.
- Then, add the garlic, the turmeric, the cumin, the cinnamon stick and the bay leaves to the pot. Sauté everything for about 3 minutes.
- After that, stir in the rice and make sure that everything is well coated.
- The next step is to add the broth into the pot. Bring it to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot with a lid and cook everything for about 20 minutes.
- Then, take the lid out and fluff the rice with a fork. Remove the pot from the heat, cover it again and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, fluff the rice again and serve it. Enjoy!
- You can garnish the dish with almonds and parsley, if desired. It is a very flavorful combination.
- Add a pinch of black pepper to enhance the whole recipe flavor. It will give it a distinctive touch!
- Always remember that cooking is about being creative. You can add your favorite spices or change some vegetables for the ones you prefer and make this recipe your own.
- This recipe can be stored up to 3 days in the fridge, which makes it very practical.
Have you noticed it yet?
I think that now you also know why this dish is so special. This Mediterranean yellow rice is so practical that it can be served as an entrée, as a side dish or as a main course.
Apart from that, it is made in just a couple of minutes and you only need a few simple ingredients that you surely have at home.
What’s more, with rice as the main staple, this dish works as an important source of carbohydrates and it is a great option to have more vegetables in your daily diet.
What is usually desired when looking for a new recipe is for it to be tasty, healthy and easy. And I think this one has it all.
Made out of everyday and healthy staples, this Mediterranean yellow rice recipe is everything you need.
I suggest trying out this dish and seeing for yourself. You will be so glad you’ve learnt how to make it that you are going to want to spread this recipe all over your family!
Let’s head off to the supermarket to buy everything you need and start cooking this flavorful dish. You are going to be able to surprise and pamper all your guests! Let the magic begin and enjoy!