Male pattern baldness treatments
Mirror mirror on the wall. Why is my head turning bald? If you are reading this article, then it is probably safe to assume that you (or someone you know) are not too excited about what you see on your scalp when you look into the mirror. But, believe it or not, male pattern baldness is a common hair loss problem, so you’re not alone.
Experts suggest that about 85% of men will experience significant hair thinning by turning 50 years. Indeed, some start losing their hair as early as 21 years. Thankfully, various male pattern baldness treatment options are available, which will explore what you need to know. But first, you might want to know why you’re experiencing male pattern baldness.
What Is Male Pattern Baldness?
Male pattern baldness refers to the natural loss of hair on a man’s scalp. As you get older, your hormone level changes, especially in your latter or senior years. Although this is a pretty natural occurrence, it takes little away from the fact that some people (if not most) consider male pattern baldness a very psychologically distressing experience.
In most cases, the first hair begins to recede at the sides or temples while the hair on top becomes thin. Over time, a bald patch emerges at the middle of the scalp and gradually enlarges to meet the receding ones at the sides. Also, a sudden or unexpected hair loss may indicate a more serious underlying health condition that may require medical attention.
Some men come to terms with their baldness pretty quickly and learn to live with them. For others, it is a bit difficult to accept. But, as indicated earlier, there are various treatment options readily available for male pattern baldness, including products and supplements. However, before you commit to any treatment, be sure to make several options available to you and weigh out the pros and cons of each.
- Medications and supplements: Some medications like Finasteride are effective for hair loss. Finasteride works by decreasing the amount of natural body hormone. And this slows hair loss while increasing hair growth. So some of these medications are designed to either slow down the receding process or boost hair growth. But the most important thing is to ensure that you consult with a specialist to help you decide which option is best for you. You will also find several effective supplements readily available on the market. But, again, be sure to speak with a specialist to be sure you get the right one for you and prevent allergic reactions.
- Scalp surgery: You can also benefit from medical techniques like scalp flaps, hair transplantations, and other surgical proven procedures that are tried and tested over the years. Plus, as technology and research continue to expand, newer techniques are now providing better results. Unfortunately, one downside here is that the success rates vary. Also, as if that’s enough, most of these surgical procedures are pretty expensive and outside the coverage of many health insurance options. But if you can afford it, having scalp surgery isn’t a bad option to consider.
- Wigs: Using wigs is one of the most popular options for most people. With several wig designs and colours available to choose from, all you need to do is find one that matches your hair colour and style, and you’re good to go. However, wigs only cover your baldness, and cannot necessarily be called a treatment solution, as they are more cosmetic. Plus, some people find wearing wigs a bit uncomfortable and even expensive in some cases.
No Treatment: Other Options Available
As mentioned earlier, male pattern baldness is a natural and standard process. However, millions of men worldwide have accepted this fact and found comfortable ways to live with it – and you can also do the same.
- First, you need to take good care of your hair to ensure that it doesn’t fall out quicker. Regular washing and combing should do the trick. But you can also focus on nutrition that boosts or supports healthy hair. You can find good options on any trusted online pharmacy.
- You can also find different hairstyles to blend your baldness into a new look or personality. Some have tried brushing or combing hair over the bald area. Others have opted for clean-shave haircuts as a way of ‘hiding’ the bald area. All you need to do is find a good barber or hairdresser, and you can expect to look and feel good by the time you walk out of the barbershop or salon. It would be best to visit one of the best hair salons in Ottawa in order to transform your look and make you feel confident in your new appearance.
- The key to a no-treatment solution lies in accepting how you naturally are and finding ways to be comfortable about your looks.